Tuesday, August 5, 2014

"Is she an athlete?"

Probably the coolest thing that's ever been said to me.  Two weeks ago I had an emergency appendectomy. I'll spare the details, but it wasn't fun.

After the surgery I briefly remember, in my drugged state, that my heart monitor kept going of.  The threshold resting heart rate was 50 beats per minute, mine kept dipping to 47.  The nurse came in to check on me and asked my mom "is she an athlete? I wish I could get my resting heart rate to 47."

How cool is that.  I remember wearing a heart monitor when I was in college, granted I was a smoker then, but I was in late teens, my resting heart rate was between 80 and 88.  Pretty cool that it is now 50 or below.
Of course the surgery has put me behind in my exercise routine.  I'm just now able to start running again, but I'm no where near where I was.  I'm not exactly starting over, but certainly pretty far from where I was. This weekend I am doing a 1 mile fun run with my son.  He's 3 so it will most likely be a fun run/walk/piggy back ride.

I started C25K over ... again.  Before my surgery I was setting the treadmill on 6 for the running portion, but that is giving me a serious stitch in my side.  I think I might have to drop my speed for a few weeks. No one likes to go backwards, but I refuse to give us.  Two steps back is better than 100 right.

Since my running is going to take some time to build up I'm doing the 30 day squat challenge ..... today was Day 1.

30 Squats
159 pounds
and starting tomorrow I will take my measurements in the morning.

Let's see where I land in 30 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment